Friday 14 March 2014

Hi there!

We have had a very exciting week with lots of firsts including: fasting, going to homegroup and for me and Catherine driving partway to work (thankfully we made it in one piece)!

This week Catherine and I have been in Amandlethu, a secondary school with about 2,000 students from grade 8 (age 13 or 14) up to grade 12 (age 17 or 18). We have been teaching a programme called Life Orientation to the grade 8s with Zama, Pumza and Maqhawe. Life Orientation aims to help the children build strong relationships, plan for the future and learn about the dangers of drugs, alcohol and sexual relationships.

Teenage pregnancy is quite a big problem here so it is really important to properly educate the kids and at a young age. The programme is having a noticeable effect because the number of pregnancies has decreased in the 7 years they have been there - when they first started teaching there were 5 pregnant girls in grade 8 alone!

LI are in desperate need of a new car so that they can give out food parcels and do home visits. Unfortunately their vehicle (Tata), after coming out of the garage 2 weeks earlier, gave up the ghost. The Tata has been on its last legs for a while but there just haven't been the funds for a new car, so the whole LI team (including us) decided to fast for 3 days and pray for God to resolve the problem. We did decide to have an evening meal each day so that we weren't fainting all over the place - especially as this is our first time fasting. Having originally planned to break our fast on Wednesday, the 6 of us felt challenged to continue until Friday, when members of the board were meeting to discuss various issues; one of which was the vehicle. At this very moment we are awaiting the return of Zanele from the board meeting - so that we can eat!

This week has been quite full on, the fast only presenting half of the challenge. We've had problems with the electrics, had to break up a fight involving two young boys and a belt, struggled with ill health and have even been peed on by Creche children (more than once!). But we've also seen some amazing things. On thursday, Abi, Pippa, Emma and Catherine helped the team give out 16 food parcels in the community. They came back looking like four drowned rats, but all laughing and full of God's joy. They had spent 2 hours in the rain, running around and handing out food from the back of a borrowed pick up truck. Pippa got to test her amazing reversing skills too! Apparantly the overwhelming thankfulness from GoGos (grandmas), parents and children gave everyone a desperately needed lift in spirit. After all, seeing God's work done is what we're here for!

So that's it for this week! Thanks again for your continued support and prayers.

Lots of love
Hannah x


5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a week! Amazing! We're so excited by this, and proud of you all! Val and Iain Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it sounds amazing work. love Aldermans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on in there with that fast guys!
    I’d like to be able to write a nice little blog response that'll encourage you. I’d like to find you a bible verse to guarantee that God will respond to your fast by giving you your new car. Truth is of course, I cannot! We cannot control God like that. Yes, he's our Father who loves us and cares for us, but like Aslan in The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, wanting Him to be safe or predictable will always end in disappointment. If it was a simple cause & effect between our prayer and his response there'd be no war in Syria, no conflict in Crimea and no poverty in Africa.
    So what to say? Do I just leave you with a "well, that was pointless, you might have just wish hard hoped for the best and tried to spot a fairy!” No, not at all!
    I do not understand prayer. It makes no sense to me. But I do believe in it. So here's where the rubber hits the road. Do I choose to follow the evidence of my own eyes, walk by sight, and not pray, or do I choose to follow my chosen Lord and, walking by faith, fast and pray?
    For me I choose the latter.
    I cannot say that it will work. I cannot say that it will help you, but I can say I will stand with you in your trial. I too will fast and pray while you wait for your new car. For one week I will pass up my breakfasts and use that time to pray for your new car.
    What will God do? I don’t know. Will my actions make any difference to you, me or your situation? I don’t know. Will you at least have caused a stir back here in Blighty? I don’t know but you will at least have caused a little rumble or two.
    Ali (Catherine’s, now hungry, ex-D of E leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you are still positive and that the daily challenges are not getting you down. We have a very big God and you can be confident that He likes what you are up to at LI, so He will give you the strength you need each day. Have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila Fletcher18 March 2014 at 17:25

    Glad to read that inspite of your week you've been laughing and full of joy. Good to read your blogs and find out what is going on. Lauren and Verity are going to see The Wanted on Sat night. Sheila

    ReplyDelete